Sunday, April 23, 2017

April 17, 2017

Last Tuesday were the changes. I am still here in my area. My new companion is Elder Torres, he is from Tamauliplas, Mexico. He is 27 years old. He is really cool! We get along great. We didn't have all that much success last week because I had to show my companion around so he could get to know the area. We were only able to find 1 new and usually we have a lot more. We expect to find a lot more this week! So this week wasn't all that crazy for us but for other missionaries it was pretty crazy. Here in mexico they celebrate Easter by walking around and acting out the Crucifixion of Jesus. They have a guy all dressed up like him and they walk up and down the streets and are hitting him and whipping him and all kinds of stuff. We are not allowed to leave the house on that day. It was Friday afternoon, so on Friday after the food we had to go home and stay there the rest of the day. During all of that there are other people that go around soaking people with water. So... my last companion Elder Roberts is in an area where it is a little bit more common that they do this and he told me that ten people showed up with buckets of water and tried to soak them but they escaped in time! Pretty crazy!
Yesterday I had to give a talk about Easter in sacrament meeting. It went really well. I talked about what it was all about and then talked a bit about the gospel that Jesus taught while he was here. I then explained a little bit about the sacrament and the meaning of it and then I read a couple scriptures in Alma 62 that talk about how we need to make changes in what we are doing. Then I explained how our mission president wants the members to work more with the missionaries. It went pretty well. After the meeting I had people asking me if they could help, and have some cards to give out. I also had a young girl come up to me and ask me for the scriptures that I had shared because it had answered a lot of questions that she had. It is an awesome feeling to know that you are helping people out in their lives!
This Saturday we are going to be having another baptism, it is a lady that was a reference from a member. Her name is Lourdes. She is going to make a great member.
Today we went to the gym with 4 other Elders. We are now 6 in the same gym. They let us in for a bit cheaper now as well. We came back home with 2 of them and they stayed at our house for a bit. I have been asking around for the best way to grow facial hair and they all say that putting chili's on your skin helps. I can't grow my mustache haha so I figured I would try it and another elder, Elder Boyer did it with me. So we went to the store and bought a Habanero. It is the spiciest chili in Mexico. So we cut it up and put it on our skin. I just put it on my top lip and he put it on his top lip and then on his cheeks as well. We waited for a bit and nothing happened. The other elders then told us hey put on some vicks and it will work more. So I put on some Vicks Vapor Rub and it immediately started to burn! It was sooooo spicy! We left it on for as long as we could and then we ran to the bathroom and washed it off. Then we tried to put milk on our lips to get the spiciness to go away. It was so spicy that my teeth and gums started to burn! I didn't even eat it! It was one of the craziest things we have done haha! It took quite a while till it all went away! We will have to see if it works haha. Well hope everyone is doing good and has a great week!
Love Elder ivie

No comments:

Post a Comment