Monday, June 20, 2016

June 20, 2016


We had a pretty crazy week! It was a pretty successful week and all but also really stressful! We were walking down the street one day and a guy in a store yelled to us so we went up to him. It was a guy I had already met and he wanted to know more about the church. We sat down in his store and we started teaching the Restoration to him. When we told him that the authority of God was lost and nobody had it, he asked if he could share a couple scriptures with us. We were like sure. He showed us a bunch of scriptures and he interpreted them completely differently than we would have. We finished off the lesson and he told us that he was a Pastor at a Christian Evangelical Church or something like that. He then began to tell us that we lack a lot of knowledge from the bible and a bunch of other stuff. He did it in a nice way and all but it kind of bugged my companion.
I think it was later that same day we went with a family that we are teaching right now that has two little kids. One of them is 8 and the other is 6. We always mess around with the 6 year old before we start teaching them. We hadn't started the lesson yet but we were asking them questions to see if they were ready to be baptized. I was asking the 8 year old daughter some of the baptism questions to see if she wanted to be baptized that Saturday but while I was asking the questions the 6 year old came up beside me and gave me a slap in the face as hard as he could!! His mom and sister started to laugh super hard and they all ran outside. I was soooo mad in that moment. They came back into the room and I stood up with my companion and told the family about the activity that we were having on Saturday and that they were invited and we walked out. I was so mad that I didn't even want to be in there any longer. What made me mad is that the mom doesn't punish her kids. I later realized that I should have handled that situation a lot better than I did. It was a experience that will help me to be patient with people.
I can now say that in the mission I have been sworn at, spit upon, had rocks thrown at me, slapped across the face, doors slammed in my face and the list goes on! All of this has helped me be a lot more patient with people. It makes it a lot easier knowing what my purpose is and that the people that actually listen to us will be blessed.
On Saturday we had a missionary activity that we had been planning for 2 or 3 weeks with the help of our ward mission leader. We had planned on starting at 5:00 and when 5:00 came around nobody was there. Our ward mission leader hadn't even showed up yet. We waited a couple more minutes and a couple people showed up but it ended up that they came for a baptism that the other missionaries had. We waited until 8:00 and there were a couple people that came. There weren't even fathers there and the activity was for father's day. We started anyway. After we started a couple people came in after and we had like 3 fathers there. We also did the activity so that we could find more investigators to teach. We didn't even have one investigator show up. It was a pretty hard night. When it was all over we left and ate some tacos haha! We ran to the house of our District Leader to get a dvd that we needed and it was in their room. The door to their room got blown shut and the lock was on. They didn't have a key so they ended up having to put a shoulder through it! Luckily it just bent the metal piece that locks it in place. It was a pretty interesting day haha!
On Sunday we went to the ward council meeting and it was pretty heated with the other missionaries because they were mad that nobody came to the activity and all. But on the bright side we had Humberto come to church with his mom and two sisters. Humberto is going to be baptized on the 9th and then we are going to try and get him the priesthood so that when his family has 5 Sundays he will be able to baptize them! It would be a really neat experience for him. We also had Marlen and Iris come to church and we hope to be baptizing them this weekend! All in all we had a pretty good week!
Hope everyone else's was great as well!
Love Elder Ivie

No comments:

Post a Comment